Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ullu ka pattha


Ullu ka pattha, I have started using this term quite frequently of late. It’s not that I have learnt Hindi just now and hence relishing in exploring new words. I don’t know the reason but it seems that someone has taken glue (not Fevicol as the words do not remain fixed and keep slipping) and stuck it to my tongue. In office, on roads, in taxies, in malls everywhere, the moment somebody irritates me Ullu ka pattha comes out of my mouth. Fortunately nobody whom I have adorned with this title has heard it till now. If someone has heard, he has not understood that the praise was meant for him and I can say this for sure as till date I have not landed in a soup. 

Let me put some pressure on my mind and look for a reason, even an excuse. The closest would be the presence of so many people in my life exhibiting this trait. This seems to be the case in the lives of all my near and dear ones. Allama Iqbal ne sahi kaha hai (Allama Iqbal has correctly said) – 

Barbaad gulistan karne ko to ek hi ullu kafi tha
Yahan Har shakh pe ullu baitha hai anjaam-e-gulisatn kya hoga. 

Literally translated in English it will mean –
For destroying the wonderful garden, even one owl is sufficient. Here there is an owl on each branch, wonder what would be the fate of the garden.

But then as the voiceover in the final scene of the 1984 film Ravan (the movie which had that beautiful song by late Jagjeet Singh – Hum to yun apni zindagi se mile) says – 

Ye tha is film ka ant, kahani ka ant aap par nirbhar hai (this is the end of the film, the end of story depends on you) – This is the literal translation of this sher (couplet) of Iqbal, true meaning depends on you.

P.S. If you remember the difference between Shabdarth and Bhavarth from your High School Hindi class you will understand what I am trying to say. 

Bye

P.P.S. Eureka! I remember from where this term became a catch phrase for me. I had recently watched the movie, Tere Bin Laden. 3 cheers to Noora.....

No comments: